Monday, October 5, 2009

Rainy day Monday

Today was a rainy day in Paris, and I only had my French class. I realized that some people (my parents) might want an account of what my classes here are actually about/like.

First up: French class E.
After my placement test, I was put into Group E, which I later found out is the highest level. That is good considering the fact that I get two credits out of this course which will do well for contributing to my (maybe) French minor.

My professor, Mme. Joessel doesn't know too much English, so she doesn't always understand us when we ask for direct translations, but she is very nice.

I have class every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Monday/Tuesday classes are from 10:15 to 11:45. These days we work on grammar and pronunciation, etc. Each morning she starts by asking us if we have any questions about things we have seen or heard. After that, we work on reviewing things and learning the minute details of the French language. She often makes us pronounce difficult words, and we usually go through exercises in the book.

Thursdays, from 10:15 to 12:15, are dedicated to current events presentations and learning vocabulary. Each week two students present an article from Le Monde and we discuss it. (This week is my week.) After that, we go over some vocabulary. We have so far learned about body parts, family life, and women's rights.

Every other week we turn in "journals" on a different topic. There are five total. The first was about our arrival in Paris. The second required us to go see a French film and write about it. I saw "Le Petit Nicolas" (which I will write about in a different post). For the rest I have to see an art exhibit, talk about a place in Paris, and reflect on my time here.

I'll have a few tests, but that's to be expected.

Some pretty funny things have happened in the class. For example, one male student didn't know an answer, so he tried to tell the professor to skip him and move onto the next person. He ended up propositioning her. She looked pretty embarrassed, and when she explained his error, the whole class was in an uproar for about ten minutes. Oh the difficulties of learning a second language.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment