Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The rest of my classes...

Here's the rundown on the rest of the classes I am currently taking. I still have one more in my future--it doesn't start until one of my other classes is finished (they stagger them so that we have enough time to focus and not get overwhelmed).

First up, France in the European Union. This class is shared between both programs (EU and public health) and is taught by Professor Lorieaux, who teaches the rest of the year on campus at NU. The point of this class is mostly to introduce us Americans to French political life. Each class begins with a student presentation covering "Three things you need to know about..." Half of the student group writes a paper about it and the other half lectures. The rest of the class, the Professor lectures, but no without giving us an amazing 20 minute break first. Mind you, the class is three hours long, so we kind of need it. It is a little bit of a challenge paying attention in this course, because I am fully aware that there are no tests. The only things on which we receive grades are the class presentations and the grant proposals we have to prepare. Plus, I have already learned most of this stuff in my various courses on French culture.

I am also taking a class based around lawmaking in the EU. This is mostly about the institutions and policies of Europe. We have one or two two-hour classes each week in which we mostly have class discussions. Professor Robin is a very stylish French woman who is a lawyer and has taught law at Boston College or University (can't remember which). She has a habit of making George Bush jokes that nobody gets. For example, she said that George Bush once said that the French have no word for entrepreneur. (I think I was the only one who half-laughed at this, since, obviously, entrepreneur is a French word.) I am happy to say that she likes me because I told her I want to be a lawyer.

Finally, I am in a class focused on economics. Ugh. Everyone who knows me knows that I dislike economics. I frequently ask my boyfriend how he can stand to major in such a boring subject. This class has not helped my opinion of it. When the class was surveyed, I was the only person not to have taken any economics at the college level. "Great," my professor said, "we can go more quickly." Uh, no? My professor is very cool though. Francesco, an Italian who comes to class on his scooter, is also our program director. He's very nice. For example, last night I sent him an e-mail asking for clarification on an assignment and he told me "Don't worry. I am much more interested in you liking the class than on grading you." We took a midterm last week which was pretty interesting. Today, we start debating topics of economics--this time it's the U.S. versus the EU.

And that is it for my classes.

P.S. GO TWINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment